Museum open Wed, Sat, Sun 12-17. Book a tour: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Foundation's instruments
The Signe and Ane Gyllenberg Foundation owns a few musical instruments. Some are at the museum, and others held by musicians.
The violin was built by Carlo Bergonzi (1683–1747) in Cremona, Italy, in 1732. In the 17th and 18th centuries Cremona was the central location for the building of top quality string instruments. Carlo Bergonzi was a student of Stradivarius, and the violins built by these two men are without doubt among the world’s elite. The instruments are still today in great demand among musicians. The Foundation bought the violin from Paavo Berglund, who wanted the violin to remain in Finnish ownership. Before Berglund, the violin was owned among others by Isaac Stern.
The Bergonzi violin is currently held by Minna Pensola. For more information about Minna go to www.minnapensola.fi
The Foundation commissioned a copy of the Bergonzi violin in 2008. It was built in Vienna by Johann Rombach and Masayuki Komatsu and is currently deposited at the Sibelius Academy. The violin can be lent to students in need of an instrument, the current holder of the violin is Yonatan Quemado.
Signe’s grand piano
Signe Gyllenberg’s grand piano has been restored and stands in a place of honour in the drawing room of Villa Gyllenberg.
Steinway grand piano
In 1998 the gallery bought a white Steinway grand piano. The first concert in which it was used was given by Eva Ollikainen, and thereafter it has been played by e.g. Gergely Bogányi, Robert Wells, Antti Siirala, Erik T. Tawaststjerna, Gustav Djupsjöbacka, and Leif Segerstam. It was completely renovated in 2013.
The Salvi Iris Gold harp was bought in 2001. It has been played by Riitta Paavola, Lily-Marlene Puusepp, Päivi Viitanen, and Saija Lahtinen, among others. On the 1st of October 2015, the harp was deposited at the Sibelius Academy. The harp is currently held by Bengi Canatan.
In 2002 the Foundation purchased a harpsichord made by the J.C. Neupert company. The harpsichord is deposited at the Sibelius Academy, where it is either lent to students in need of a rehearsal instrument, or used at rehearsals and concerts at Helsinki Music Center.